We have spent the last three days caravanning across nine states together. We drove through snow, crazy wind, and sun so warm, Scarlett stripped down to her undies in the back seat.
This move has been emotional – and the pregnancy hormones are not helping. We are sad to leave behind Virginia, as it was an amazing home for 3 years. But we are holding on to our friendships there and keeping our heads looking forward. We arrived in Nebraska today, March 4th — The only day of the year that tells you to do something ‘March Forth!’ So that we will do. It is the eve of our youngest son’s first birthday, and I am currently watching him sleep. My mind is in a million different directions:
- How has it been a year since Ollie arrived on our bedroom floor, three-weeks early and faster than anyone could imagine?
- We close on a house in 2 days. Holy crap.
- Where in the hell are we? Omaha? We saw nothing but farmlands for hours today…
- The first thing the house needs is paint… no, the kitchen backsplash needs ripped out… no, that carpet needs to go. Can we even afford any of this?
- The kids need friends ASAP.
- I can’t even drink, I’m pregnant.
- Please let the movers get our crap here in one piece.
So far on this journey, we have stayed at the amazing Blackhawk Hotel in Iowa, saw the Mississippi river, went bowling, cooked a few random comfort meals, survived a child with the flu, and landed in a great apartment rental until the movers arrive with the goods.
I’m glad you are coming along with us as we journey through this craziness. I’ll write more soon, updating about the transition, our trip, and how we (and you can) plan to update our outdated house – on a budget!